Modify A tune for me?

Have a question or in need of assistance?
01KooksCobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Modify A tune for me?

Post by 01KooksCobra » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:03 pm

ok...whenever i go to open a file to modify it...it resets all my timing...so i had my dynotuner make a tune file a while back...and i guess he never selected No Cats , and Longtube headers...check engine light comes on. but anyways i was just wondering if anyone here can modify it while retaining his a/f and Spark advance ...any help is greatly appreciatd!!
01 Cobra

cliffyk
Sniper Tech Support
Sniper Tech Support

Re: Modify A tune for me?

Post by cliffyk » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:51 am

You can do that (assuming you have the .txt file and SF software) by setting the things you want changed (rear O2 sensors, etc.), and not changing any of the timing a fuel settings--I.e. leave them in the "No Change" setting.

I find this to be somewhat counter-intutive, and like you had expected that the selections I made when creating the .txt file would be displayed when the file was reloaded. However it's not a problem once you know of this behaviour, you just need to make sure you document each file's settings well.

Also, since the timing and fuel settings are cummulative, it means there are no limits as to how much you can tweak them--create file A.txt based upon some existing base file with +2° added global timing, and then use A.txt as the basis for B.txt and add another +2° global timing. You now have a tune with a total of +4° advanced timing. Do this 5 times with the maximum allowable change (+5°) and you'll have a tune with +25° globally advanced timing (and an engine with holes in several pistons).
-cliff knight-
My Mustang
Multi-fuel: Burns gas and rubber

sniperpat469
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by sniperpat469 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:25 am

nice reply cliffyK

only one thing though the changes are not cummulative , The SF is limited to the changes available in the drop down menues.
this is why software resets every time you want to make another change.

So if you changed the global timing 4 degrees and it made the car rattle the next time you make a change you might just
make a 3 degree change. Every time you load the txt file it is the same as the origional base file you have made,
we did this so the changes would not be cummulative. it sets some limits on the tuning.

Patrick

cliffyk
Sniper Tech Support
Sniper Tech Support

Post by cliffyk » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:14 am

I had read in another posting (at least I thought I had) that timing/fuel changes were cummulative. which struck me at the time as "not the way I'd do it"--it's good to hear they are not, it makes much more sense. I guess it also means that the original poster won't be able to retain (or more correctly duplicate) the settings in his custom tune; without knowing what they were...

It would be nice however to have some manner of self-documentation added to the "text" files to help those of advanced years (like me) keep track of what settings were selected when creating the file--someday, for now keep working on the v13/Recon issue as time permits.
-cliff knight-
My Mustang

geoffav
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by geoffav » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:45 pm

cliffyk wrote:I had read in another posting (at least I thought I had) that timing/fuel changes were cummulative. which struck me at the time as "not the way I'd do it"--it's good to hear they are not, it makes much more sense. I guess it also means that the original poster won't be able to retain (or more correctly duplicate) the settings in his custom tune; without knowing what they were...

It would be nice however to have some manner of self-documentation added to the "text" files to help those of advanced years (like me) keep track of what settings were selected when creating the file--someday, for now keep working on the v13/Recon issue as time permits.
I made a simple MSWord table to track every tune I've ever done. I need to update it some because some of the data I included is BS. I'm hoping over the next few years I will learn something from the process. This table includes a block for each SF parameter and a remarks section for anything done with Commando. Like I said, it's very basic but I would be happy to send you the file. It's also easy to modify for your own purposes.

After thinking about it -- I attempted to attach it below so use it if you like. One is blank the other is a recent Mach1 tune.

G
Attachments
Sniper Tuning Data Sheet shell.doc
(59.5 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
M1 MAF 091407 Example.doc
(61 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Geoff
04 Mach1 Torch Red 5spd w/281 CobraJet Engine
03 Mach1 Azure Blue 5spd w/281 CobraJet Engine
33 Ford 3 Window, 4.6DOHC stack intake

http://www.weevilcitycruisers.com/index.html

01KooksCobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by 01KooksCobra » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:55 pm

so....if i dont touch the timing when i modify the tune it'll stay the same?? ...even if i got like v2.1 or w/e....some real old version lol
01 Cobra

cliffyk
Sniper Tech Support
Sniper Tech Support

Post by cliffyk » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:30 pm

01KooksCobra wrote:so....if i dont touch the timing when i modify the tune it'll stay the same?? ...even if i got like v2.1 or w/e....some real old version lol
Nope,

That's what I had incorrectly thought (I swear I saw a posting here where someone had said that)--Pat set me straight up above...
-cliff knight-
My Mustang

cliffyk
Sniper Tech Support
Sniper Tech Support

Post by cliffyk » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:33 pm

Geoff,

Thank you for sharing these! That's the direction I was going to go, except maybe as a thick client or intranet based DB application--Access or Open Office.base are good for these sorts of private/small workgroup database apps as well...
-cliff knight-
My Mustang

geoffav
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by geoffav » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:55 pm

cliffyk wrote:Geoff,

Thank you for sharing these! That's the direction I was going to go, except maybe as a thick client or intranet based DB application--Access or Open Office.base are good for these sorts of private/small workgroup database apps as well...
I keep a notebook and try to document everything I do and learn. I retire in about 7 years and would love to have my own shop with a dyno. Right now I just stay too busy working to play at the level I want to. That last 3 years of work will be my time to get things rolling, I have to burn up my sick leave doing something. :mrgreen:
Geoff
04 Mach1 Torch Red 5spd w/281 CobraJet Engine
03 Mach1 Azure Blue 5spd w/281 CobraJet Engine
33 Ford 3 Window, 4.6DOHC stack intake

http://www.weevilcitycruisers.com/index.html

cliffyk
Sniper Tech Support
Sniper Tech Support

Post by cliffyk » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:27 pm

I am "semi" retired now, and my plan is to be done in 5-6 years. Like you I'm trying to figure out how to fit a dyno in my garage...
-cliff knight-
My Mustang

Return to “Special Forces Help”