Target Half Throttle AFR

This forum covers all other Ford V6 vehicles that do not fit in the forums above.
Dirmaid
Private
Private

Target Half Throttle AFR

Postby Dirmaid » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:46 pm

I'm not too sure of how the AFR tables are mapped between cruise throttle and full throttle, but I feel like mine are way off. Idle and cruise is between 14.7 and 15.1 with random spikes to 14.0 and 15.5 with a mild miss with cold start (I'm thinking the maf is going bad since I've already cleaned it), full throttle is at 12.9, but about half throttle brings it all the way down to 10.0-11.5 and holds it there until I let off for a couple of seconds. I'm in a hilly area and pull out onto highways from a stop so I use half throttle on a regular basis, so this is killing my mileage. Does anyone with more knowledge on fuel maps know what's going on here? I'm wanting to get all of the fuel maps right before I supercharge the motor.

2001 4.0 SOHC Ranger, Auto, cat back exhaust, stock intake, 42 lb injectors, 3.55 gears

Sniper Chris
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Target Half Throttle AFR

Postby Sniper Chris » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:33 pm

Those numbers actually look pretty good.
Even though you're only part throttle, when you hit the hills it creates a greater load (than on flat ground) so the computer will want to richen. It does seem a little richer than normal though. The cruise and wot AFR numbers look perfect.
Director of Sales & Marketing
Technical Support

www.DeltaForceTuning.com

Dirmaid
Private
Private

Postby Dirmaid » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:22 pm

It honestly may be richer than that at times since my wideband bottoms out at 10.0. I was considering taking fuel out at part throttle, but I wasn't sure if that would affect the cruise AFR as well.

And just to further my understanding of open loop fuel maps, what all does the computer look at to determine the amount of fuel to give? I'd assume intake temp, mass air read at the maf, coolant temp, and calculated load but that's just an educated guess

Sniper Chris
General of the Army
General of the Army

Postby Sniper Chris » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:38 am

Good guessing, that's about it.
I don't know if you have just Special Forces software or if you have the Commando software too but If you plan to keep it in Open loop then it would effect cruise AFR. If you keep it in Closed loop then cruise AFR should not be effected.
Director of Sales & Marketing
Technical Support

www.DeltaForceTuning.com

Dirmaid
Private
Private

Postby Dirmaid » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm using Special Forces currently, but planning on moving to Commando in the future. Thought I'd learn more about tuning before I made the switch though. I'd like to keep it in closed loop as much as possible, but at the moment the only thing dictating which mode it is in is how much throttle I'm giving it. Does Commando allow one to change open loop triggering values? Because I'm not a fan of how early in the throttle open loop comes in while I'm driving in the city. It's pretty common to go from 0-60-0 in the traffic around my area and it seems to trigger without fail at 50 mph and keep it like that until I coast for a couple of seconds. It's more annoying than hurting anything, I hate wasting fuel when I'm not hot rodding lol

jmacedo
Private
Private

Postby jmacedo » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:03 am

I don't have your vehicle, but do own a 2001 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6. I use Sniper and Commando to tune so I have Open Loop Fuel Tables.

Can't say if my tables have any correlation to your issue; I will say though the figures are interesting. Black type are preset tune values from Delta Force and blue are stock. Even so with "leaner" values from Delta Force, you'll see they are pretty darn rich at moderate throttle. That's not to mention that practically 99% of gas you put into your vehicle is 90% gas and 10% ethanol (E10); making these numbers even more far from your target.

So if you notice at a certain throttle position at lower RPM 700 - 2500 there is a huge change in the air to fuel ratio. It becomes very rich. This may be what you are experiencing. Not owning your car, I couldn't guarantee that. The only consolation is that we both have Fords from 2001. Maybe that's something implemented for a "Safety" buffer preventing super lean mixtures that would cause problems/damage.

In any case; I have adjusted my high and low slope injector values to "tone" down the rate at which they expel fuel. multiplying the value by .94 will give you an approximate conversation to work with e10 gas (used everywhere). The tunes provided by delta force do not account for that in my tune.

Read this forum post that talks about e10. There is some insightful info about wideband tuning AND e10 gas

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sh ... 757031-e10

Dirmaid
Private
Private

Postby Dirmaid » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:15 am

Wow, you're not kidding. Those are some seriously rich targets, even with some fudge room. I just did a gear swap and have noticed that it goes into open loop significantly less due to the lower amount of load (as would be expected), but if I walk into it, the AFRs do trend towards the extra rich side. I feel that it may be an issue with load calculations by the PCM since I now have a delay of 1 to 2 seconds between WOT and downshifting. If there were issues with those calculations, it would make sense that it walked it's way towards the richer parts of the table

Also, that link had a lot of good info on it. I'll have to adjust my tunes accordingly for the e10 gas I've been running. They only have pure gas in 87 octane in my part of the country, so I'm stuck with e10 93 octane. Thanks for the share!

Return to “V6 Engines”