Looking to buy a tuner

Sales, features, capabilities, vehicles, licensing, bullets, ...
ztpkng
Private
Private

Looking to buy a tuner

Post by ztpkng » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:24 pm

I've been looking to buy a tuner, and I'm really interested in the tunes sold here. I have a few questions, though.

I have a 96 Mustang GT, lightly modified, and I'm hoping to go to forced induction in the future.

When I go to the extended information pane on the Special Forces page, I see this:

Features include:
96-most 06 vehicles
Range of adjustability
-Compression ratio
-Low / High fan settings
-Engine idle speed
-Passive Anti Theft
-Fuel Octane rating
-Headers / exhaust
-H / x pipe
-Rear oxygen sensor delete
-Trans shift points
-Trans shift firmness
-Engine rev limiter
-Engine speed limiter
-Tire height / speedo correction
-Gear ratio / speedo correction
-Air Fuel Ratio adjustments (richen/lean)
-Spark advance (+/-)
Unlimited performance files

Same as above plus...
-Supercharger (Roots / Centrifugal)
-Turbocharger
-Nitrous (wet / dry)
-Injector size
-Returnless fuel pressure setting
-Mass Air brand / calibration
-Intercooler type
-Fuel pump type
-Unlimited number of files can be created

Are the second set of adjustments actually on this? I thought they were a separate package.

As I understand it, you can basically dial in your mods and then manually tweak the AFR and timing in 3 RPM ranges. Is this correct?

Is Recon included in this? Do I have to have a laptop in the car for it to log, or does it save it to some sort of memory in the flasher? If it does save it, can I also have a laptop in the car and see real-time values such as RPM, AFR, timing, etc?

To change from one tune to another, I need to actually hook up the flasher, right? There's no switch to change since they're not stored except in the tuner?

sniperpat469
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Looking to buy a tuner

Post by sniperpat469 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:03 pm

Yes all those features are included , along with datalogging.

you will be able to store 5 tunes in the interface box and flash to vehicle

PS

SDSPEEDPARTS
Private
Private

Post by SDSPEEDPARTS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:21 pm

ztpkng wrote:I've been looking to buy a tuner, and I'm really interested in the tunes sold here. I have a few questions, though.

I have a 96 Mustang GT, lightly modified, and I'm hoping to go to forced induction in the future.

When I go to the extended information pane on the Special Forces page, I see this:

Features include:
96-most 06 vehicles
Range of adjustability
-Compression ratio
-Low / High fan settings
-Engine idle speed
-Passive Anti Theft
-Fuel Octane rating
-Headers / exhaust
-H / x pipe
-Rear oxygen sensor delete
-Trans shift points
-Trans shift firmness
-Engine rev limiter
-Engine speed limiter
-Tire height / speedo correction
-Gear ratio / speedo correction
-Air Fuel Ratio adjustments (richen/lean)
-Spark advance (+/-)

Same as above plus...
-Supercharger (Roots / Centrifugal)
-Turbocharger
-Nitrous (wet / dry)
-Injector size
-Returnless fuel pressure setting
-Mass Air brand / calibration
-Intercooler type
-Fuel pump type
-Unlimited number of files can be created

Are the second set of adjustments actually on this? I thought they were a separate package.

Yes it is all part of Special Forces.

As I understand it, you can basically dial in your mods and then manually tweak the AFR and timing in 3 RPM ranges. Is this correct?

Correct. You also have global settings too.

Is Recon included in this? Do I have to have a laptop in the car for it to log, or does it save it to some sort of memory in the flasher? If it does save it, can I also have a laptop in the car and see real-time values such as RPM, AFR, timing, etc?

Recon is included and you need a laptop connected to the interface to record data or to view real-time. Recon does not log AFR readings you will need a seperate wideband O2 sensor (needed when you fine tune fuel settings).

To change from one tune to another, I need to actually hook up the flasher, right? There's no switch to change since they're not stored except in the tuner?

With the flash version yes. There is the chip version that with the addition of the six position cable switch you can switch between tunes with the turn of a knob.

ztpkng
Private
Private

Post by ztpkng » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Sounds like a great setup. What all is shown during real-time Recon report? I can see RPM and MPH on the pictures on the site, but the text is too small for me to see what else is on there. I see your point about AFR... I guess it doesn't make any sense to be able to log it with stock O2 sensors. The range I'd be worried about is outside their ability to measure anyway. If I did get a wide band setup, could that be integrated into Recon readings, or would it be completely separate?

SDSPEEDPARTS
Private
Private

Post by SDSPEEDPARTS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:59 pm

Wideband data will be seperate. The standard Recon screen displays RPM, MPH, MAF Voltage, intake air temp, coolant temp, spark advance, throttle position, load, fuel trims, injector duty cycle (if supported by ECM), fuel pressure (if supported). It can also be customized to display other supported PIDs that are supported by the ECM.

Return to “Special Forces Product Info”